- 2 tablespoons ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground scotch bonnet peppers (habanero)
- 12 bay leaves (finely crumbled)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 lbs chicken (pieces, wings, halves, whatever)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Combine all but chicken, lime juice and oil in mixing bowl and whisk to mix well.
- Whisk together lime juice and olive oil.
- Rub chicken well with lime/oil mix. Do not marinate.
- Coat chicken with dry seasoning/spice mixture. The idea here is to get as much as possible to stick to the chicken. We store our seasoning in a leftover spice container with large sprinkle holes and use that to season. This is not a rub, so it should not be applied in rub fashion.
- Refrigerate 1-3 hours, then remove from refrigerator and allow to come to near room temperature.
- Prepare grill for direct/indirect grilling.
- Grill chicken over hot direct fire. Don't worry about the black, it's supposed to be there. In fact, 30-40% of the skin should end up black, but it will not be bitter.
- Once seared, remove to the indirect heat area of the grill and cook to 165* internal temperature.
- One quick dance across the direct heat before serving will help crisp it a bit.
- Serve with plenty of napkins.