READY IN: 2hrs 25mins
- CHOCOLATE COOKIE WAFERS
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package fudge cake mix
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour, measured then sifted
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 (12 ounce) bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- Combine the cookie ingredients in a large bowl, adding the water a little bit at a time until the dough forms.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a portion of the dough to just under 1/16 of an inch thick.
- To cut, use a lid from a spice container with a 1 1/2-inch diameter.
- Arrange the cut dough rounds on a cookie sheet that is sprayed with a light coating on non-stick spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the wafers from the oven and cool completely.
- Combine chocolate chips with peppermint extract and shortening in a large microwave-safe glass or ceramic bowl.
- Heat on 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stir gently, then heat for an addition minute.
- Stir once again, and if chocolate is not a smooth consistency, continue to zap in microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth.
- Use a fork to dip each wafer in the chocolate, tap the fork on the edge of the bowl so that the excess chocolate runs off, and then place the cookies side-by-side on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate until firm.