- 3⁄4 cup medium grain rice or 3⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (heaping)
- 4 cups whole milk (I use 2%)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring rice, water and salt to a boil over med-high heat.
- Simmer covered until water has been absorbed (approximately 15 minutes).
- Stir in milk and sugar and cook uncovered over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently--especially towards the end of cooking.
- The pudding is done when the rice and milk have amalgamated into a thick porridge-like consistency.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK or the pudding will be solid instead of creamy once cooled.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Turn into a bowl or cups.
- You can sprinkle cinnamon on the top if you like.